This course defines the practice of oral health literacy, explains the
importance of oral health literacy in dental practice and describes strategies
to incorporate health literacy in dental practice.
• Describe why there is an imbalance in the public’s
basic oral health literacy and the knowledge needed to prevent oral disease.
• Provide oral health information and services that make it easier for the
patient to understand and use.
• Describe the promising public health and patient education strategies
needed to improve oral healthcare.
Davis, a pioneer in the field of health literacy discusses the topic of health
literacy, provides rationale for using health literacy practices and methods
that incorporate health literacy when providing oral health related
Focus on Oral Health and Oral Health Literacy?
2. Literacy Definition
How Does Literacy Affect Dental Practice?
4. Health Literacy Considerations
for Dental Visits
5. Evaluating Patient Education Materials
Considerations for Improving Oral Health Literacy
7. Useful Health Literacy